Mobile navigation

Report concerns about a child

If you have a concern about the safety of a child then you should talk to someone immediately.

If you are worried about a child,

Phone Gateshead Council's Children's Services (in confidence) on:

0191 433 2653 (office hours: Monday - Friday, 8.30am to 5pm)

0191 477 0844 (out of hours, at night, at weekends and bank holidays)

The Emergency Duty Team will help with personal or family problems that reach a crisis at these times. All calls go through to the Gateshead Care Call Service where a telephone operator takes all the calls. This service is the contact point for all council services out of hours. If the phone isn't answered straightaway, please be patient as they will be dealing with another call.

In an emergency always call 999.

Other contacts

For non-emergencies you can contact Northumbria Police on 101.

If you are a young person with concerns about your own safety or one of your friends and you do not want to talk to the police or a social worker you can also call Childline on 0800 1111. This is a free 24 hour number offering advice and support. You could also contact Childline.

Members of the public can also contact the NSPCC by text message on 88858 to report concerns about a child. This service is free and anonymous the NSPCC aim to respond within three hours.

When raising a concern it is helpful to have as much information about the children as possible. This will ensure that we give the right advice and take the appropriate actions. You can make an anonymous call if you wish. Personal information about non-professional referrers will not be disclosed to third parties (including the subject of the referral and their family) without the consent of the referrer.

Refer to the when completing the form, it may help you to interpret a situation. You should always use your professional judgement when using the guidance.

Professional referrals

All professionals must make a referral using this form.

Refer a concern

Types of concerns to report

You could be:

  • a child or young person who needs advice
  • a parent having difficulties with your children
  • worried about any child
  • a victim of domestic violence
  • concerned about mental health issues
  • a disabled child at risk or in need

If in any doubt call. 

The Integrated Referral Team (IRT) is a first point of contact for referrals to children's social care services for children who are in need of protection or support to live safely within their family. 

We will carry out an assessment of the referred child or children where appropriate. 

Anyone can make a referral, including families, members of the public and professionals such as GPs, health visitors, teachers, or the police. Professionals should refer to the process set out in information for practitioners.

View the information on how to make an allegation against People who work with children (LADO)


The referral will be processed in line with the referral procedure (opens new window). Where appropriate, we will take steps to ensure the immediate safety of the child/young person and anyone else affected. We will talk to the child/young person, or a suitable representative on their behalf, to find out what is happening. We will work together to plan what we can do to help keep them safe and as independent as possible.

Where necessary we will investigate allegations of abuse with our partner agencies, and take appropriate action. We will always do what we can to prevent abuse happening again. We will keep everyone involved informed of the outcome and provide support where needed.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon